February 11, 2010

Studioversery (term coined by L. Waugh)

On this very day two years is where it all began. In a bewildered state, brought on by nerves, excitement, anxiety, confusion and not understanding half of the words people were using, I survived Graduate Interview Day and along the way met a whole slew of people, including the 11 people that I would be spending the next two years with. None of us knew if we were actually going to get in. All of us had our fingers crossed behind our backs, hoping that we could make it through the day without anyone finding out how much smarter they were then us...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

...I was scared out of my mind, had spent 14 hours, contemplative, in front of my closet trying to decide what to wear (and despite my sister's hesitation on the yellow and aqua combination I went with it anyways.) I can vividly remember Lauren's animal print shoes (how bold!) Everyone seemed way too smart for me. I didn't understand half the words people were saying. Meredith was laying down the law about the differences in graduate schools. Tony was asking about bringing dogs to studio, just then Denise's face lit up and she couldn't hold back an "awww." We all knew Tony was in. Tania secretly had Calvin with her at the interview. Brooke and Tania, the Bostonians, were already fast friends. Amber blew my mind with her thesis presentation. Marty was talking about slow food. I poured my heart out to Denise about wanting to change the world with design as she stared cold face back at me. Santiago gave his monologue to anyone that interviewed with him about all the fun things we were going to be doing. Liese and I stared with wide-eyes and bobbing heads not able to get a word in edgewise. We all experienced our first lunch on Hillsborough Street where we split up and then found ourselves all back in the same place when we arrived at Jasmine's. And I am sure there was a mention of the coffee shop going in next door to studio any day now...

What a day.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, PEOPLE!